Monday, October 06, 2008

101 Things...

I LOVE those '101 things to do I I LOVE those before you die' lists, you always get some interesting ideas. A big part of my life is reading and enjoying the written word. I kinda hate it when people say '...the written word...' very elitist I think. So I've read a few books in my lifetime. I started calling myself an avid reader in University when I would scour the library for books to read. I was all the way in the back where the lights don't work properly and it smells of dust and old people. I think I was at my happiest when I was there. I read through most of the Toni Morrison they had, opened my mind to Walter Mosley, crave the surreal Octavia Butler and some other authors. I was in heaven. The Toni Morrison novels made me believe in art. Her books were works of art, I could feel and see the painting before me. Beautiful. I decided to share what I so thoroughly enjoyed. I'll try to post as many as I can remember.




Devil in a Blue Dress , A Red Death, White Butterfly, Black Betty, Bad Boy Brawly Brown, Six Easy Pieces, Little Scarlet, Cinnamon Kiss, Fearless Jones, Blue Light, Futureland: Nine Stories of an Imminent World, Always Outnumbered, Always Outgunned, The Man in the Basement, Walkin' The Dog.

The Bluest Eye , Sula, Song of Solomon, Beloved.


Fledgling, Bloodchild and Other Stories.


The White Boy Shuffle by Paul Beatty
The Hand I Fan With by Tina McElroy Ansa


I Been in Sorrow's Kitchen and Licked Out All the Pots by Susan Straight
The Color Purple by Alice Cooper





This is only a few of those I can remember, once I can remember the rest I'll be sure to add. I always wanted to start a book club but have yet to find persons who want to hold discussions about them. Oh well...


Title pic...

No comments: