Monday, December 29, 2008

The Hills Are Alive

I first saw "The Sound of Music" when I was about 10 or 11 years old. I was enthralled, the music, the love story, the underlying story of patriotism and pride. I was hooked. Every Christmas until I was about 15 years old I would watch the movie. I was in heaven, along with eating food and spending time with my Mom I was so excited about the movie that I would become euphoric. My Mom would leave me alone for the entire 3 or so hours and not ask me to do anything or lift a finger because she knew it was so important to me... The reason I stopped watching at 15 is because they stopped airing it on TV. I was so sad, seriously... Expecting it to show but having it not was the start of my depression era. It's crazy to think that a movie would be so powerful...but it was and still is today at least to me.


I'm reminded because I watched it last night for the first time in about 2 years. I kept alternating between that and "The Notebook" (which I LOVE!) It was like having a movie orgasm. I swear I was floating. what is clear to me is that I know that everyone has their own mix of movies that mean the world to them that they would stop everything and watch even if they've seen it a thousand times before.


There are a few others that I could add to my own list, in fact when I found the Flixster website I made a list of my fave movies. The list has grown to about 70 or 80 movies but only about 30 of those are my absolute FAVORITES. We all have them whether it be a song or a movie or whatever. Something that makes us happy, maybe because it was introduced at an age where you are most impressionable and just the magic of whatever it is makes us believe in ourselves and what we can do.

The Hills are Alive...

No comments: